Saturday, March 14, 2009

I wrote recently:

The only thing I feel
is that I feel
I can't feel anything

Soft wind through the window
that's how I know you're here
but I guess that's kind of strange
when you're nothing

Can't get much more self-loathing and depressing than that. Might make a good song one of these days. I hate how these posts of late have been more like diary entries but it's what's been on my mind as of late. Something I said to a friend this week made me think of where I am now and of course where I have been. I said “It's the people that make the place.” I do suppose that is why this place I am at now isn't so great. No people. Not enough anyway. I think back not to the best times per say but the times when I felt I was living life in a way that provided me a sense of purpose and belonging. Certainly the good times are the best to think of, but also the bad times and the times that were just ok. It was always nice being able to call someone up after work and knowing we'd do something. It doesn't matter what. Had another dream with the girl in it, the one I saw for the longest time. I thought about her some more and it was strange for me to wrap my mind around the fact that at one time we did things together that people in our situation did. I feel that I am so far from any feeling like that it seems amazing that it is even possible and that I haven't forgotten fully how it is to feel. One likes to think that forgetting is easy or a curse. But I can still remember. There is a place in my memory that holds on to all of those moments and sometimes I am back there. Late nights driving home with a cigarette and the windows down. Or hating myself for having feelings that make me human. Or saying things that wouldn't make things easier. I thought of how there were things that we never said to one another. A set of three words comes to mind. Never once. Never even mentioned the word. We knew. That made it easier, I guess. I still hold onto that. We had such an immense understanding it was odd. We were two people who always held each other at somewhat of a distance. I do that to everyone. If I look at my life now I can trace a lot of what I have done back to her. I have done things to prove to myself that I don't need her and ever thinking “if she could only see me now.' Yeah, that'd show her. What? I guess that I've become a different person but not a better one. But I am a better one. Change has done me good. I have found places that help define me now. I have met people that I would never have had I stayed stagnant. I am glad in a lot of ways to be where I am, but also unsatisfied. That, I feel, I will always be. I only have everyday of my life to make it better. I need to start believing that and never stop living. I have been trying to do things slower, make my life slower. I feel that I miss a lot. I try to make my mind slower too. To think about things more and react after I have thought about something long enough. Just like proof reading your own paper it is had to do the damn thing with one's mind. I keep waiting for life to get better in a sudden and revelating way. It won't happen like that. It'll just sneak up on me and I'll be glad that it did. I'm glad for my life everyday. And I'm glad to be glad.

No comments: